Monday, February 25, 2013

I Want to Learn To Forage!

I have spent the last few days thinking about what I want to say in my first post on this blog.  I want to learn to forage.  That's it.  I know that mostly I will be talking to myself and perhaps a few people who want to learn as well.  There are numerous reasons I want to gain this knowledge.  Free appeals to me as does consuming non-genetically modified food.  I think there is a possibility that wild food probably has better nutrition than what you might find in your supermarket.  Knowing this information in a time of emergency would also be beneficial.  It never hurts to be prepared.  Plus I get the added benefit of being in the sunshine exploring with my kids! 

What appeals to me most, however, is the nature of the hunt.  It's like finding treasure. It's exciting!  It's rare in life that you get to discover something new to you.  Last summer I discovered a Crab Apple tree filled with gorgeous fruit in plain site which I had passed for years but never noticed.  Many jars of jelly later, I was hooked.  How many other things have I not seen?  I searched for information about my area, the South, but I did not find a treasure trove of information as other areas of the world appeared to have.  It seems to be all the rage to forage in the northern states, out West and Europe, but little is recorded for the southern states.  This will be my place to store and show my discoveries.  I hope you enjoy it as well!  Keep in mind, I am not an expert, so if you find something that you would like to apply to yourself, please do your own research as well.

1 comment:

  1. Quite a few years ago we lived in Missouri. We were not doing well financially and I had found and purchased a book called "Wild Edibles of Missouri." I started foraging in my yard for salad ingredients since it was too early to have salad in my garden. We found our wild salad to have an energy giving punch and that they were quite tasty. That started my interest in wild foraging. We regularly eat what some people call weeds and I'm always interested in learning more. I'm glad to have found your blog. We live over towards Dayton, TN.

    ReplyDelete