Monday, August 18, 2014

Redneck Kudzu Pasta!


There are just some days that throwing together a pasta dinner is totally the best option for your family.  I wanted something easy today.  I have been visiting a sick family member all day and did not have the time to slave over the stove.  I suppose I could have purchased a bag of spinach at Publix for around $4, but I preferred to pick some Kudzu from the adjacent field for free (which is what I did).  Just so you know, Kudzu is super nutritious which I have explained in previous posts.  You can use it as a spinach substitute.  However, you should know that the leaves are sturdier and have a water resistant quality which while it helps to keep its shape in long boils, it also can make it chewier.  Thus, to use it, you have to either dehydrate and crumble it or cut it into small pieces.

I know some people balk at using cream of something soups, but it can be a life saver in some situations.  I would love to be all Pinteresty and make it from scratch, but that is not going to happen any time soon.  I am actually picking Kudzu so I give myself a break!

Kudzu Pasta

Ingredients:

3 - 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey (great for leftovers)
12-15 Kudzu leaves chopped into small pieces
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of milk
1 pint of chicken or turkey broth (2 cups)
1 teaspoon of powdered ground ivy leaves or your favorite green seasoning
garlic salt to taste
1-2 boxes spaghetti (depending on size of family, one is too small and two makes leftovers for our family of 5)


Directions:

Heat the meat and Kudzu leaves until leaves soften. 

Add soup, milk, broth and seasoning.  Simmer for 10-20 minutes. 


Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package.

Serve sauce over noodles.  Add cheese over the top if you prefer.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment