“I have made a satisfactory dinner of a dish of purslane which I gathered and boiled. Yet, men have come to such a pass that they starve, not for want of necessities, but for want of luxuries.” -Henry David Thoreau
Friday, July 10, 2015
Blackberry Ketchup!
Blackberry ketchup. Really! I would eat it on a hot dog. It's good! Before the invention of supermarkets and the decline of home canning, fruit ketchups were much more common.
Blackberry Ketchup
Ingredients:
4 quarts blackberries
2 lbs brown sugar
1 1/2 c vinegar
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in large pot. Cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours. Use an immersion stick blender to blend berries. You will see seeds floating in syrup.
Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. You may need to scrape the strainer with spoon to dislodge seeds so liquid can go through. Strain several cups at a time and rinse off strainer between strains to make it easier. When finished, wash original pot. Return mixture to pot. Return to stove. Continue simmering for 1 1/2 hours more, mixing occasionally.
Ladle into prepared jars. Wipe rims with paper towel dampened with water/vinegar mixture. Seal. Water bath 15 minutes.
Makes about 5 pints.
Labels:
Blackberries,
Canning,
Recipes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


This looks so good! We have a restaurant where I live that has a blackberry habanero ketchup, and it is so tasty! Any thoughts on how I would add some habanero to this for a little heat? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteDomo Kun is a recognizable Japanese character known for its distinctive brown, quirky appearance and playful personality. The character has become popular through toys, collectibles, clothing, and other merchandise. For fans of unique character designs, Domo Kun remains a fun addition to a collection.
ReplyDeleteURL:https://mydomokun.com/domo-kun-headphones/