Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Canning Common Plantain!

Canned common plantain! I already know I like it used as a cooking green and I wanted to be able to preserve it. You can can greens using a pressure canner but some greens are not sturdy enough to withstand the process (like dock). I am happy to say that plantain works great!  You can also dry and freeze it.  However, I wanted something I could drain and throw into a pan with bacon and onion for a quick side dish.

Canned Common Plantain

Ingredients:

  • common plantain leaves (just fyi, one gallon baggie of leaves makes two pints)
  • salt

Directions:

Wash and slice plantain leaves against the grain of the leaf.  There are strings in the leaf which are bothersome unless they are cut and then you will not notice them at all. 

Parboil Leaves on simmer for ten minutes. Drain. It will not be soft but just wilted enough to easily place in jars.

Loosely place in jars (not pressed down).  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar. Add boiling water to cover greens and leaving 1 inch headspace.

Pressure can 70 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts at 10 lbs. Don't forget to add a little vinegar to your pot's canning water to avoid the film on the outside of the jar.

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could find some plantain growing around here. Thanks for the tutorial.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete