Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rhubarb Mint Jam!


One of the first plants that pioneers planted on homesteads was Rhubarb, and it often outlived the homestead occupants.  The house may be gone but you can still find the Rhubarb.  I planted some last year for the first time because it is one of those plants that you do not need to keep replanting.  As far as I am concerned, the easier to garden, the better!  Not to mention I make a killer strawberry rhubarb pie!

I have several kinds of mint but the one I like the most is one I found in Northern Michigan.  We were at the border of Canada taking a boat tour.  Outside of the facility was some scraggly wild plants.  I noticed one that looked like mint so I reached down and grabbed a bit.  Sure enough it was mint.  I dug up a few of the plants and we drove back to Tennessee with wild mint in a Dixie cup.  It now grows profusely in my garden.

While the wild fruit is still weeks away from being ripe, I had a desire to can something!  Rhubarb and mint are the two plants that are ready to be picked in my garden so I decided to make Rhubarb Mint Jam.  It tastes sweet and citrusy and minty all rolled into one, a very nice combination!

Rhubarb Mint Jam

Ingredients:

3/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 lbs of rhubarb, chopped
1 package powdered pectin
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 drop green food coloring (optional)

Directions:

Start water bath canner to boil.  By the time the jam is complete, the canner should be ready.

In a saucepan, add water, mint and 1 cup of sugar.  Bring to a simmer for ten minutes.  Remove from heat, cover and steep for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare rhubarb and put into a larger pot.  Prepare jars and lids, and measure out 5 1/2 cups sugar to be added later.  When mint mixture is finished steeping, place a fine mesh strainer over the pot with rhubarb and strain the mint mixture onto the rhubarb.  Discard the mint leaves.

Cook the rhubarb and mint syrup until rhubarb is soft.  Stir often.  Add the pectin and continue boiling and stirring for two minutes.   Add the remaining sugar and food coloring (optional, but it is included in the photo above) and boil for one minute more.

Pour into sterilized jars and seal.  Water bath for 10 minutes.  Makes about 9 half pints.

Altered from original recipe at Homespun Seasonal Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment