Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bradford Pear Sweet and Sour Sauce!

Last year I made Bradford Pear Jelly for the first time.  I liked it but thought at the time that the recipe didn't take full advantage of the natural tartness of the Bradford Pear fruit.  I've had a year to come up with a perfect use, and I believe I have done it!

Bradford Pear Sweet and Sour Sauce

Ingredients:

1 gallon baggie of Bradford Pears (about 8 cups after stems removed)
1 whole pineapple, skinned, cored, and chopped small
2 cups chopped peppers (red, green or yellow)
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
4 T soy sauce
6 cups sugar
1 cup clear jel
1 cup of cold water (to mix with clear jel for thickening)

Directions:

Rinse Bradford pears and cut stem off.


Place in pot.  Fill with water to above fruit.  Boil until soft, crushing fruit to open.  Refill water as needed to maintain level.  Simmer 1-2 hours for best result.

Not very pretty while cooking but will make a lovely color when sugar is added to the juice!

Strain for juice in jelly bag or several times through a fine mesh strainer.  Measure liquid and add water if necessary to equal five cups.

Add liquid to stock pot along with pineapple, peppers, onion, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar.  Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.


Meanwhile mix clear jel and cold water.  Add to mixture and simmer an additional 10 minutes.  Ladle into prepared jars and water bath 35 minutes.


Makes 6 - 7 pints.

2 comments:

  1. Awsome recipe - looks great! sharing to my FB page :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read you can graft better varieties of pear right onto ornamental types like the Bradford. I used to own one in TN and hated it for making such little fruit... now I know I could've:

    A: Made sweet and sour sauce
    B: Grafted Bartlett branches onto that stupid waste of space

    Live and learn, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete