Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Spring Greens Have Arrived!

There is a dearth of greens in Tennessee usually between the second week of January through the end of February. It is what I consider our hard winter. So when the temperature begins to warm a bit and buttercups start blooming, I get excited about spring greens. I can imagine that settlers would look upon this time in relief as fresh crunchy food was probably lacking in their winter diets.

The greens most found right now include chickweed, garlic/onion chives, young dock, dandelions, pennycress and purple dead nettle.

Young Dock
Pennycress
Purple Dead Nettle
Chickweed
The beginning of turkey bone and spring green broth.
Pictured is the beginning of turkey bone and wild spring vegetable broth for canning. Greens picked today include chickweed, dandelion, dock, garlic chives, purple dead nettle and pennycress.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, I appreciate the reminder of the food we have out there just waiting to be picked. Fern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fern, glad to hear from you!

      Delete
    2. I'm still around and getting the garden ready. Hope things are well in your neck of the woods. Blessings, Fern

      Delete
  2. Yay! I've been wondering what the chickweed and purple dead nettle were in my front yard. I have what I think are several different kinds of dock I'm interested in identifying. I know we tried to arrange a meetup a while back (years ago at this point), but would you be interested in coming out to our place in Franklin for a foraging lesson? I could pay you in home raised eggs and venison we hunted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you a message, hopefully it went through!

      Delete
    2. I'm not seeing it. Where did you send it to? I'll hunt for it! If you want to resend- ashley (dot) p (dot) housley (at) gmail!

      Delete