Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Black Locust Blossom Wine

Remember back in May when I started my science project?  Well it was a complete success!  Actually, it turned out better than I anticipated. I made Dandelion, Peach and Black Locust Blossom
Wine.  My favorite of the three was Black Locust Blossom which makes me very happy as I know where there are a lot of trees.  It has a delicate floral flavor and retained its sweetness.  I will be visiting those trees in the spring!  Here is the recipe:

Black Locust Blossom Wine

Ingredients:

4 gallon baggies of black locust blossoms, stems removed and rinsed
2 gallons purified water
1 orange sliced thin
1 lemon sliced thin
12 cups sugar
2 packets of yeast - white wine or baking will do in a pinch

2 balloons
stick pin
2 one gallon carboys (can also use the plastic water gallon containers)
rubber band to hold balloons on carboy (optional, I did not need it)

Directions:

In a large stock pot, add one gallon of water, flowers, orange and lemon.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Leave for two days, stirring occasionally.
Black Locust Wine are the two in front!

Strain and return liquid to pot.  Add sugar and bring to a boil.  Simmer until all sugar is incorporated.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Wash carboys thoroughly.  Add half of liquid to each carboy.  Add yeast packet to each.  Fill carboy with remaining gallon of water.  Mix well. 

Put balloon on each lid.  Poke holes (about five through both sides) to release pent up air as the yeast works it's magic.

Occasionally agitate to add oxygen the first month.  Let sit for six months. Rack wine into wine bottles.  Serve for the holidays!



1 comment:

  1. At what point did you lose the cloudiness in the concoction? I have two gallons working right now. Its a month in. The balloons are still staying up. Your directions get a little vague around the month timeframe. Any help is much appreciated

    ReplyDelete